Sierra Vista Open Space Preserve: Wildflowers Abound

The first day of spring brought a break in the weather and a chance to get out to enjoy it. Presently all Bay Area counties are under orders to shelter-in-place to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. I am currently working from home and limiting my time outside of the home. Short of a total lockdown, the shelter-in-place does consider exercise an essential activity as long as the six feet of social distancing can be maintained. Hiking was even one of the suggested activities. That was all the encouragement I needed to stretch my legs. 
I decided to head to the Sierra Vista Open Space Preserve because I've never run into a hoard of people visiting the park. 


As soon as I got there I was reminded while the parks are open, the shelter-in-place is in effect.



With the exposed grassy hillsides, this is a great spring hike with so many wildflowers! The green, rolling hills always make me grateful for the rain we receive. I try to make an effort to get out and enjoy it while it lasts as much as I can.

I've been to this park before but not on this particular trail that was rated moderate. It wasn't long (about 5 miles) but it starts at the top and meanders down, which of course means the return trip is pretty much all uphill. Looking down onto Alum Rock Canyon from this vantage point was a great way to start.


So many Owl's Clover! 

As well as a great view of the city of San Jose. One thing I love about the Bay Area is the abundance of open spaces so close to the urban centers.



 But what I was really here for were the wildflowers... fiddlenecks just starting to unfurl...



Blue witch or nightshade with their delicate petals





































Lupine of different varieties



The cheerful buttercups


And of course the California poppy in two shades :)




The hike helped bring a sense of normalcy amid a world presently consumed by the coronavirus. Hiking, for me, helps alleviate any stress and anxiety that can compress without a way to release that tension. In light of what the world is currently facing, focusing on the natural beauty of the world can bring a little peace for your soul.

COVID-19 Considerations:

  • Trail width. Trails for the most part, especially those on fire roads are easy to keep your distance.
  • People count. I saw a total of 6 people hiking the trail I chose (Kestral to Sierra Vista to Upper Calaveras  Fault Loop and back).
  • Gates. The cattle gates have been chained open. I wondered about that at first because there are signs that say to close the gates after using. But I don't know for sure but perhaps it's to keep people from having to handle the gate mechanism making it a high touch surface.
  • Restrooms. I don't remember seeing a restroom/port-a-potty but I did read all Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority parks' restroom facilities will be closing until further notice so don't drink a huge cup of coffee before starting as I typically do.
  • Maps. Either download the map to your phone, take a picture of the map at the trailhead or print out a map beforehand. No printed maps will be available.
  • Trash. Pack out what you pack in. 

Comments

Popular Posts