Santa Clara County Parks: COVID-19 Maps!

As someone who can’t walk to an open space preserve from my home, I appreciate that many of the open space preserves and county parks are making attempts to help us to comply with the shelter at home order while enjoying nature. One great example is the Santa Clara County Park system. They not only list the least impacted parks on their website but they also provide links to custom, social distancing trail maps. On these maps they’ve highlighted in green, trails whose width is sufficient to maintain the 6’ of social distancing. I used these maps with the free Avenza Maps App to track my hike. It was super helpful! Because it uses my phone’s GPS signal, I don’t have to worry about cell reception. I can see at all times exactly where I am. It will track my hike, if I ever remember to turn it on! It will give you your speed, distance, average speed and duration. I use the free version, which limits you 3 maps at one time but for a day hiker like me, that’s not a problem. So I headed to the Stevens Creek County Park to test it out.
Avenza map showing compliant trails.

The park system recommends you park in the main parking lot. We parked in the Chestnut Parking lot. Right now, you can park for free. The signage was colorful with the social distancing info simply and clearly explained with graphics.


It was an easy hike with views of the dam and reservoir. The trails were for the most part wide dirt paths. People were out but it was not overly crowded.
Stevens Creek Dam

Miniature Lupine along the shore of the Stevens Creek Reservoir.

There were a number of benches in peaceful settings, although not for 
sitting on at this time.


We walked the Stevens Creek Trail out to the end of the Loop Trail and back. It was a quick hike. The Stevens Creek County Park borders Fremont Older Open Space Preserve, part of the Midpeninsula Open Space District. To extend your hike you could take the Coyote Ridge Trail in Fremont Older and is indicated on the map as wide enough to maintain social distancing.



At the end of the Loop Trail
There weren't carpets of wildflowers but here are a few plants I saw along the way, Lupine, Pacific Pea, Pacific Hound's Tongue, Greater Periwinkle, Ceanothus, Maidenhair fern, sword fern and Blue Dicks were spotted.









I hope to get out again to another of the less utilized Santa Clara County Parks' soon. To walk in nature is essential for one's health, both mind and body. I find that true more than ever.

Comments

Popular Posts