Redwood Ramblings

I am starting to feel conflicted about hiking during this shelter-in-place. Even though I am following the Shelter-in-Place order in every way, I see so many people on social media sites saying to just stay home. Parks or parking lots of parks are closing due to people not maintaining the required 6' of social distance. I've been doing more neighborhood walks but sometimes I see more people on those walks than if I make the effort to drive to a park. I did see that the Santa Clara County Park web page said that Sanborn Park was on a short list of parks that are currently experiencing low attendance. That seemed like a perfect choice.
Pond beside Sequoia/Peterson group site. A popular wedding venue.


The Santa Clara Valley has so many gorgeous hiking areas with such a variety of ecosystems and natural habitats that one could hike everyday of the year and not get tired of what nature has to offer. Sanborn Park, part of the Santa Clara County Parks system, is located in the Santa Cruz Mountains with the city of Saratoga to the northeast and Skyline Boulevard skirting the western edge of the park. The Santa Cruz Mountains always brings redwoods to mind and that is exactly what you'll find in this park. Surrounding yourself in redwood forests during this time of unease completely alleviates that stress.



Along with the redwood forests come all the other plants that grow in the shady environment provided by the redwoods. Ferns and moss cover most rock surfaces giving everything a peaceful sense of solitude.

Small cascades created by an overflowing  creek that crosses the path. The recent rains helped to revive the creeks and replenish the groundwater.

















I wish I could tell you the name of this flowering tree. I also wish that I had brought my telephoto lens. I seem to have a problem with not bringing the right lens for the planned hike. In any case, it caught my eye as it was pretty much one of the few things blooming at this time in this park.

As we approached the Sanborn-Peterson trail split, this mossy rock wall caught my eye. Maybe you can tell I love the visual "feel" of moss. 


I wish I didn't have to end on an invasive species but I didn't take many photos! This invasive flowering plant is broom. I'm not sure which species but I do see it in many parts of Santa Clara County. 
This will likely be my last post for another 15 years, unless I start to blog about my travels. County restrictions seem to be tightening with an emphasis on walking in your neighborhood or biking to a nearby park. I can do that! 

My next trip is scheduled for the beginning of May to Machu Picchu and the Galapagos. I'm almost hoping for a reschedule. We will see. Be well and stay healthy everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts